Monday, October 31, 2011

My mind is not beautiful; it's a crazily distorted jungle-gym of ideas.

My mind usually goes a hundred miles per hour, and normally in multiple directions. I have an extremely difficult time concentrating on a single project for very long.

I've been working pretty diligently on the Bran Drayton book, but it's slow going right now (I can't quite get a particular scene to pop). As a result, I tend to just meander along, writing every single detail without end. I know I'll end up editing most of it, but it helps. Anyway, I'll take a scene (or chapter) which should be about 4-5 pages, and it'll end up being 15 pages of absolutely mind-numbing detail or introspection. As a writing exercise, it is kind of cool because you get to see what works and what doesn't. You start to get a feel for when a scene should end, and with what action. Anyway, I haven't gotten to that point in this particular instance yet.

So, to put it bluntly, I get bored with a story when I'm at that point. I know where I want to go, and I have a good idea of how to get there, but I haven't quite figured out how much detail to include. Figuring that out is boring, and it's probably my least favorite part of writing. That said, when I get in one of these funks, my mind starts to wander.

I tend to think about my stories when I have downtime, whether it's when I'm driving or when I'm trying to go to sleep. When I'm bored with what I'm working on, I inevitably move on to other ideas. And I have SO many ideas. I get so excited about these potential stories that I have to keep myself from starting an outline right then and there (one or two projects at a time).

Anyway, long story short -- I thought of a really cool plot for a modern romance (with a bit of an existential/paranormal twist) today. I'm not going to add it to my list of "future projects" but I'm kind of excited about it.