Monday, October 24, 2011

The best stories are stories about love...

I wrote this simple paragraph a few months ago, and I just stumbled across it today. I'm not sure why I wrote it, or what it meant to me at the time, but for some reason, I really, really like it. I'm considering putting it in one of my short stories or books some time in the future (assuming I can find a context in which to put it). Anyway, here it is:

Love. It's such a common word, but it conveys so much depth. To some people, it is merely lust; to others love means a connection, a relationship, or a friendship which defies normality. To still others, it is a myth, never before truly felt.  I think it goes beyond all of that to encompass something that can't truly be described - not adequately, anyway. It is what drives us, be it a simple, powerful friendship or something more romantic. It is life's catalyst.

Maybe I'm just a big softy, but that paragraph sums up my view of storytelling.  I know there are other motives for a good journey (emotional or literal), but I think the best stories are ones in which the characters are motivated by some form of love.